Monday 6 June 2022




 I've noted in several entries that Echium pininana has been naturalising in warmer parts of the UK. It's one of the "giant" Echiums found on the Canary Islands. I grew another species which was probably E. wildpretii in my front garden several years ago, also the subject of several entries.
 E. pininana is sometimes called Tree Echium due to its height. In fact it's a triennial and not a tree but today in St. James's Park in central London I saw an Echium that is indeed woody and clearly quite long lived. I think it's probably E. candicans. This name seems to be synonymous with E. fastuosum and refers to a shrub species which is sometimes called 'The Pride of Madeira'.
 In fact both the Latin and common names of the Echiums of the Canaries appear to be rather fluid so I'm happy to be corrected by any Echium experts out there. I assume they are an example of how species can evolve which are distinctively different yet very closely related due to their proximity to each other in a geographically isolated location.
 This single specimen of bushy Echium was presumably planted there though elsewhere in the park E. pininana is multiplying quite rapidly by self-seeding.