Thursday 21 June 2018



 Today is the Longest Day, the Summer Solstice. I'm with the Druids on this one, I can see why our ancient ancestors worshiped the sun and the moon.
 From the botanical point of view the Winter and Summer Solstice are the most significant dates on the calendar: the amount of daylight steadily increasing then steadily decreasing at these points affects and catalyses all aspects of a plant's existence. Yes, it makes a difference if for example we have a wet or dry year but above all else it's the sun, or perhaps I should say it's the sun in conjunction with everything else. I suspect all calendars began with this fundamental duality as our ancestors sought to understand our place in the cosmos.
 It's not quite Stonehenge but I walked up to Telegraph Hill at the top of my road, one of the highest points in South London with sweeping views of the city. I rarely include photographs of people or buildings in this diary but I will make an exception in this case. Dozens had gathered on the hill to see the sunset over the skyline. Clearly we still have a primitive urge to make for high ground and watch the Solstice sun go down beyond distant mountains...