Sunday 17 June 2018


 I did another hike across the South Downs over the weekend, this time starting at Shoreham-by-sea then over to Ditchling Beacon and a nearby campsite. Covering about thirteen or fourteen miles it wasn't as long as last week's hike but on this occasion I was carrying the weight of my rucksack with tent and camping gear. Again this was preparation for hiking and camping in the USA in a few weeks time.
 This section of the South Downs Way undulates through the chalk hills with some stiffish climbs and descents en route.



 As I have remarked on before these chalky wind-swept grasslands sustain many low growing wildflowers like Bird's Foot Trefoil (Lotus corniculatus) and Wild Thyme (Thymus polytrichus).




 At about the half way stage I skirted around a wilder, more rugged part of the Downs known as The Devil's Dyke. Here many orchids were in flower; I think the ones shown above are the Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchisii) which aren't very common these days. I gather there are some rarities hereabouts so I must dedicate a return visit to exploring this locale.


 Setting a brisk pace it took me about six hours to reach my destination- a camping field at the foot of the Downs near Ditchling. Happily there was a pub nearby for some refreshment.