Sunday 25 June 2017




 Memories of a solstice II. Last year I was in California (see entry below), this year... Wiltshire. I walked a section of the Kennet and Avon canal from Bedwyn to Wilcot then pitched my tent in a field to watch the sunset over the rolling chalk hills beyond. The following day I walked up onto those hills where the vistas stretch for miles.
 Actually there was an American aspect to my ramblings. I'm heading out to the States next month- a few days in San Fransisco again, then the same Amtrak route but this time going further to southern Oregon to camp and hike in the Crater Lake National Park area. I wanted to make sure all my camping gear was functional and it was good practice to do a bit of a route march with a full pack on the hottest day of the year.
 To be honest the towpath is fairly gentle and the field was behind a pub that serves a cracking pint so I'm easing myself into the wilderness gently.
 The banks of the canal were lined with the fluffy, creamy flowers of Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria). I headed for the hills up the Workway Drove, an ancient drover's track where the lovely azure flowered Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium pratense) pops up all over the place.