A diary of back garden botany, urban ecology, rural rambles and field trips to the middle of nowhere...
Monday, 19 June 2017
Monk's Hood (Aconitum napellus) is a very poisonous plant. All parts of it are toxic and potentially fatal if ingested. It grows into a tall spire of indigo flowers, seen here at the tip. To my eye they do indeed resemble a cowled head.
The Latin name may be more useful to botanists but the common name coveys a somewhat sinister feeling which is justified- beautiful as it is.