Thursday 2 February 2023


 Doing a bit of digging on the allotment I accidentally scooped out this bulb of Allium ampeloprasum var. babinigtoniii otherwise known as Babington's Leek. I planted five of them a few years ago and each one has formed a clump of half a dozen or so. I simply re-planted this one in another spot to multiply some more. Babington's Leek is thought to be the wild ancestor of our commonplace vegetable the Leek (Allium porrum).  
 So it's an edible but I've held off eating any till they increased somewhat, perhaps this year will be the year. But here's the thing: I was thinking of planting some Elephant Garlic which is not garlic as such but can be roasted etc. and has a mild garlic taste. Then I noticed that botanically speaking Elephant Garlic is Allium ampeloprasum. Are they in fact the same thing?
 Elephant Garlic is regarded as native to countries bordering the Mediterranean, Black and Adriatic Seas and in rocky coastal areas in Wales and the West Country. Babington's Leek is also said to grow wild in those parts of the British Isles. Which again begs the question are we talking about the same thing?
 In both cases there is speculation whether they are indeed native to these shores or an ancient even prehistoric introduction. 

PS Speaking of pre-history a neighbour on the allotments reminded me that February 1st. is Imbolc, the Gaelic festival of the beginning of spring which is probably neolithic in origin. It falls about half way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. Actually different traditions have it on different days between the 1st. and 4th. of February. So I think I have some leeway in wishing you all a Happy Imbolc.

PPS 3/02/23 The excellent website Plants For A Future has this to say about Babington's Leek: "Closely allied to the wild leek, A. ampeloprasum, differing mainly in its having more bulbils and fewer flowers in the flowering head". Nonetheless I suspect that the distinction is moot.