Thursday 19 November 2020

 

 The wooden bin I made recently is in situ and I'm starting to fill it with various cuttings, clippings etc. NB The door behind it is simply an old door, it doesn't go anywhere! This will simply be an ongoing pile of "green "waste" generated from around the garden. That is sometimes referred to as "cold composting" i.e. let time do the work. In which case I planned to build another bin alongside to start filling up when the first one is full and gradually decomposing.
 I'm now thinking I might instead make a "hot bin" where the heat of decomposing matter is retained to speed up the process. Wood is not a great insulator so it would need to be lagged, perhaps I could modify a plastic bin? The commercially manufactured hot bins are quite expensive so DIY will be the order of the day.
 Getting the right mix of "greens" and "browns" is important for the hot composting process. I could use material from the cold compost to feed it, also kitchen waste which is currently going into a "Dalek" bin.