Monday 23 November 2020

 
 
 The Nasturtiums on the allotment have been particularly prolific this year as I've mentioned in various entries. I'm starting to gather some of the seed from among the tangle of tendrils. There are many lying beneath and more that are about to drop. I notice that they form in clusters of three. 
 I wrote a number of entries about seed dispersal recently and I should add that plants tend to produce a great deal more seed than is likely to germinate and grow. A single Foxglove for example sheds thousands of tiny seeds. Clearly this is an evolutionary survival strategy.
 Nasturtium seeds are bigger and there are less of them per plant but the same applies. They drop in clusters which puts me in mind of the old tip for growing from seed in pots i.e. plant several in the same pot. One or other of them may not germinate and if more than one does germinate one of them might be a stronger grower.
 NB The seeds are green when they drop. They start to dry out and the hard seed familiar from seed packets is within the pod.