Monday 29 June 2020


 The profusion of butterflies has been a notable feature of my recent walks. One particular footpath was a very nice coda to my route last Thursday. I had no particular expectations other than it took me off the Chiltern Way to the village of Charlton where I could pick up a lane back into Hitchin.
 The path runs between broad fields of arable monocultures for several hundred yards (generally butterfly free zones). To my delight clouds of butterflies rose up with each step I took.



 I think several factors must have made this corridor so populous (there were many bees too). The hedging grows quite high on either side of the path thereby providing both shelter from the elements and combinations of sun and shade. The rows are a mixture of deciduous trees and shrubs that have not been flayed to bits, which is the fate of many hedges in the countryside.
 Dog Roses and Brambles scramble through them. The way is sufficiently wide that tall grasses flourish both sides of the well trodden path and there are many wildflowers: spiky Mulleins, shaggy Knapweeds, ragged Thistles, pincushion Scabious, airy Umbellifers, frilly Bedstraws and plenty of Nettles- both the stingers and the Deadnettles.
 All this seems to be very good news for the butterflies and makes me think that the concept of "wildlife corridors" has some validity.