Thursday 9 April 2020


 I stand corrected. Several days ago I posted an entry noting that a grape vine (Vitis vinifera) scrambles across the porch of my father's house. True enough but I included the above photo of the clusters of flowers and remarked how they already resembled the bunches of grapes that would follow.
 Only problem is: they're not the flowers of a grape vine! I looked closely at them again today and there was something new to see...


 ... another flower had appeared from the same stem. Then I remembered that a Chocolate Vine (Akebia quinata) grows through the Grape Vine. These are the flowers of A. quinata!
 And they provide a very good illustration of a plant that is monoecious i.e. it has both male and female flowers. The large single flower seen above is female, the smaller flowers are male. This is in contrast to plants that are dioecious i.e. male and female flowers are on separate plants (e.g. Hollies)
 Furthermore some monoecious plants have 'perfect' flowers- each individual flower has both male and female parts. But the Chocolate Vine is 'imperfect': the male and female parts are separate.
 As I have said before I don't know if flowers have a sense that they are male, female or bisexual but that is how humans refer to them! They probably don't consider themselves to be perfect or imperfect either.