Monday 5 August 2019


 Returning to this country after several weeks away I see clear signs that high summer is moving into late summer. Various plants are going to seed and the seed heads can be as striking as the flowers- like these Papaver somniferum on the allotment. No, I haven't been growing a crop of opium; they seeded themselves so I'll let these self-seed in turn.


 Similarly the Honesty (Lunaria annua) that flowered so vigorously in the front garden [see entry dated April 3rd. 2019] has produced a great many of the characteristic papery seed heads with the seeds clearly visible within:


 NB It's worth collecting the seeds of a particularly good form of a plant. It's a great deal cheaper than buying them and the next generation may have similar characteristics when propagated and grown on. This single specimen of Honesty has produced hundreds of seeds, some of which I'll scatter and others I'll grow in small pots to be planted out in spring.