Wednesday 20 March 2019



 Planting bulbs "in the green" in springtime is the preferred option to establish certain bulbs that don't like to dry out, like Snowdrops or in this case Ramsons. They're available for sale in the autumn but unless freshly lifted they're likely to be dead in the packet rather than dormant.
 I was contemplating ordering some Ramsons aka Wild Garlic (Allium ursinum) to plant in a shady spot under the apple tree. Then I remembered that I'd planted six or seven in a container several years ago, going spare from a planting I did by the back door. They've come up every year in the container so I reckoned they would do fine- and in fact they've multiplied to about twenty!
 They were easy enough to separate by carefully tipping out the container as one block of earth then teasing out the individual bulbs and their roots from the loose soil. I suppose in effect I had done on a small scale what bulb producers do in bulk. I kept five back and potted them to grow some more "stock"- a deliberate strategy this time rather than a happy accident.

 Postscript  Today is the Vernal Equinox, the astronomical start of spring/end of winter!