Sunday 24 March 2019


 Planting a Crimson and Gold Quince (Chaenomeles x superba) was one of several tasks that took me to the allotment. My father mentioned a while back it would be nice to have a flowering quince and I saw a particularly vigorous one in Martin Crawford's forest garden recently which I learned was the Crimson and Gold cultivar:



 NB Chaenomeles are shrubs and different from the Quince Tree (Cydonia oblonga) though related. The fruits need to be cooked and are said to make very tasty jams and jellies.
 The flowering quinces are of Eastern origins but seem to be completely hardy in the UK. They must be tough. The one shown below is growing within the privet hedge in front of the house where I grew up and was there when my parents moved in:


 Actually Chaenomeles can be used as a hedging plant but I will let the one on the allotment grow as a standalone shrub to harvest the fruit in due course.