Monday 21 May 2018


 The arching stems of Soloman's Seal (Polygonatum species) are an old cottage garden favorite from the days when cottagers would have propagated plants from the surrounding countryside. It's not "showy" but it's graceful- and bumblebees like to make their way along the hanging flowers.
 Polygonatums are found in woodland settings; they all look similar but the one shown here is P. x multiflorum according to the nursery I bought the stock from originally. I think they must be picky about the conditions they like. The ones I've planted in my father's garden in Hertfordshire are doing fine as seen above but I haven't been able to establish it in London despite the garden being similarly shady.
 Soloman's Seal is related to Lily of the Valley which is another plant that will go great guns in one spot but do nothing somewhere else. In fact Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis) grows very happily out of the crazy paving patio nearby (see below) so maybe there's something at work here. My father stuffed a few in the cracks decades ago and off they went, coming up year after year..