Friday 26 April 2024


 Three Bluebell woods (and two pubs). I began by following the same route as Wednesday's walk starting in St. Paul's Walden. At the Strathmore Arms to be precise. Today was sunnier and I knew the Bluebells would be glowing even brighter.
 Hitch Wood (above) is one of three great locales for Bluebells all within a few miles of each other. Each has a different character. Hitch Wood is sloping and the blue haze rolls across it.



 I walked on to Preston and stopped for a pint at the Red Lion. Then on to Wain Wood, carpeted with Bluebells, not so open as Hitch, very atmospheric.



 Then over to West Wood for a staggering display. But here is a curiosity: Bluebells are found in ancient woods whereas West Wood is a plantation (i.e. twentieth century) albeit with some semi-natural woodland on the margins. I reckon it was formerly an old wood which was felled and re-planted for timber production. The ancient trees are gone but the Bluebells remain. The sea of Bluebells among rows of conifers makes for an interesting contrast.
 So, three of my favourite places to see Bluebells and two of my favourite pubs all in the same walk!