Thursday 1 December 2022


 Thought I'd try these on the allotment. Field Beans are the same species as Broad Beans (Vicia faba) but a different variety. They are a smaller bean but a more vigorous plant therefore a higher yield. In the UK Field Beans are sold as a green manure but they are edible and grown for eating in other parts of the world e.g. North Africa and Egypt.
 They are cold hardy and will germinate from a September-November sowing. I've tried Broad Beans in spring/summer with unspectacular results. Free draining soil and drought doesn't suit them. There should be enough water from the sky during the winter months so I'm wondering if Field Beans might be a better bet.  
 Perhaps I'll get a cover crop to dig in or perhaps I'll hold out for a harvest. Or perhaps I'll be disappointed!