Sunday 4 September 2022


 I added this mini-pond to the garden years ago- a large trug sunk into the ground with a few pots containing plants like Marsh Marigold. Clearing the undergrowth I noticed it had evaporated to a muddy slush during the course of the summer. I filled it up and immediately a large frog hopped through the surrounding vegetation and dived in! Then a baby frog surfaced, possibly it had been wallowing in the damp mud.
 A pond of some kind is one of the best things to attract wildlife to the garden. This year's drought has made me think I should create a larger pond or add some more mini-ponds. Some watery wildflowers would enhance the existing planting in the garden particularly if long, hot, dry summers become the norm.
 Photos of the two frogs below, well camouflaged in the water. One of my neighbours moved out recently taking her cat with her. Fond as I am of cats this one was dedicated to massacring frogs. I'm pleased to see that some survived and hopefully the local population will recover.