Tuesday 1 February 2022


 The Holly and the Ivy. This voluminous Holly must be well over thirty feet tall by now. Over the years thickening tendrils of Ivy have made their way up the trunk and spread outwards. Parts of the tree are now more Ivy than Holly. 
 I don't want the Ivy to smother the tree entirely so I've set about removing as much as I can (at least on this side of the wall, it actually grows in the neighbours' garden). I started at ground level with long handled loppers, then worked higher with a telescopic pole lopper, higher still by using the pole off a step ladder, then went into the middle of the tree with an extension ladder. 
 The idea that Ivy "strangles" trees is a myth but if a tree becomes one big mass of Ivy then only the outer branches poking out will reach the light to photosynthesise. New growth from the trunk will be inhibited by being shaded out. I think that trees and Ivy can generally coexist though an old tree on the way out could be hastened on its way if it becomes smothered. Weak branches might not bear the extra weight and the wind profile of the tree will be increased. 
 In this case however the Holly is vigorous but being outcompeted by the Ivy so I want to even up the balance. There is much reduced growth of branches and foliage in areas where the vines have become dominant.
 It's a job to do in winter before the nesting season begins. I spotted a number of old nests among the greenery. I won't be able to remove all the Ivy and in any case I don't wish to do so. As I've noted before Ivy is one of the very best plants for wildlife value. [see entries dated 21st. September and 21st. November 2020]