Monday 6 December 2021



 This is Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea) which in fact isn't an Ivy. It's a low growing mat forming plant of the Lamiaceae plant family with scallop shaped leaves and tiny flowers. On these grey wintry days I'm reviewing some of the photos I took earlier in the year but didn't get round to posting. 
 Back in April I saw the largest expanse of G. hederacea I've ever come across. It's common enough to find small patches of it in grassland and the margins of hedgerows and woodland. On a walk in Hertfordshire I came across an orchard carpeted with Ground Ivy. It's aromatic so I was interested to know if it has any herbal history; Lamiaceae is known variously as the dead-nettle/mint/sage family. 
 Sure enough according to Plantlife's website Ground Ivy was used by the Saxons to flavour and clarify ale, was known as a lung-cleansing herb to treat coughs and other respiratory illnesses, is rich in vitamin C and can be used to make a herbal tea!