Saturday 15 May 2021

 

 Decided to plant Runner Beans again on the allotment. They're thirsty plants so the free draining soil combined with a dry summer like last year is not ideal. I prefer to plant to the conditions rather than lavish huge volumes of water to keep things happy. If we have a 'typical' English summer there should be enough rain but we've had a run of droughts in recent years.
 I'll persevere because Runners can be such good croppers and a wigwam in full flower is a glorious sight. I kept some pods from last year so no need to buy any. The dark beans are the classic variety 'Scarlet Emperor' and the white beans are a white flowered form whose name escapes me. I sowed them in pots and will plant out when they get going. This seems to be more reliable than sowing straight into the ground.