Sunday 24 May 2020



 I have planted Nectaroscordum siculum aka Allium siculum in both the garden and (above) on the allotment. Hardy in UK conditions N. siculum is native to areas around the Mediterranean and the Black Seas. It's available as a bulb in autumn but I don't see it used very often which is surprising given how striking it is.
 Gardeners tend to make a distinction between "ornamental" Alliums and the edible members of the genus: onions, garlic, leeks etc. This one is sold as an ornamental and I planted it for that reason (bumblebees love it) but I have heard it said that all Alliums have culinary properties. I wondered if that might be the case with this species which is often referred to as Honey Garlic.
 Doing some research just now I learn that "Samardala" is a traditional seasoning in Bulgaria which is prepared from the long slender leaves at the base of the plant. These leaves are not visible in the photograph because I was too busy looking at the flowers!
 NB quite a few plants that we regard as decorative in the UK are edible. Unfortunately they may have been grown using fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides without thought of consumption. So it's important to be sure that something unusual is indeed an edible and has been cultivated with that in mind.