Thursday 28 May 2020



 I happened to see both our native Irises in flower today: Stinking Iris (Iris foetidissima) and Yellow Flag Iris (Iris pseudacourus).
 I. foetidissima grows in the deepest shade, even dry shade; actually it will grow anywhere. It is noted for clusters of bright red berries in autumn that last right through winter. If you read up on the species the small pale lilac flowers are regularly referred to with epithets like "dull" and "inconspicuous".  That seems unduly harsh, I would suggest subtle and exquisite might be better terms to use.
 Moreover the clumps I saw today appear to be I. foetidissima var. citrina. The flowers have a lovely lemony hue as well as the delicate purple veining. Really very charming for a plant that is as tough as the toughest pair of old boots. A bumblebee was making its way around them but I didn't unshoulder my camera quick enough for a pic.
 Later however I saw I. pseudacorus growing en masse alongside a stretch of country lane. Yellow Flag can cope with a bit of shade but is basically a sun lover that inhabits the margins of flowing water, ponds, bogs etc. The stand I came across today was surrounded by dry, chalky fields but flourishing in a muddy sump fed by ditches.
 Bumblebees were buzzing all over them. In the photograph above for example you can see one bumbler flying in as another shimmies into position. And if you look closely there is one that has already crawled into the flower with its backside and hind legs sticking out.