Thursday 17 October 2019


 Lent a hand with some tree pruning at the South London Botanical Institute including this Azara serrata which is native to Chile and not often seen in the UK. The reference books have it as a large shrub/small tree which grows to four or five metres. The one at the SLBI seems to want to be something more substantial than that, hence the pruning.
 I see it has the common name of Saw-Toothed Azara. The leaves are not as prickly as, say, a Holly but they are indeed serrated round the edges (though saw-toothed makes them sound rather sharper than they are). 
 The SLBI has two expert gardeners who come in once a week to tend the garden, assisted by volunteers. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go there today but as things turned out I arrived just at the moment they were about to commence pruning.
 Actually I've always enjoyed shaping shrubs and trees but these days I don't really do anything higher than working off a step ladder with long loppers and a pruning saw as was the case here.