Tuesday 3 September 2019


 Tahoe trails part 10. I saw plenty of lakes during my 10 day hike in the Lake Tahoe area. I camped by Showers Lake for 3 nights and Dardenelles Lake for 3 nights. I passed by Round Lake and walked over to Scott's Lake. I hiked out to Lake Aloha in the Desolation Wilderness via the Lower and Upper Echo Lakes.
 One lake I saw very little of was Lake Tahoe although it is one of the largest and deepest in the States. I arrived by bus in the town of South Lake Tahoe on the 19th. of July and left from there on the 28th. but the lake itself was some way away from the South Y Transit Center. My hike into the Meiss Roadless Area took me away from the lake - about 15 miles away at the furthest point. The Meiss Meadows and the surrounding mountains form a watershed that drains into Lake Tahoe.
 From time to time I saw a glimpse of Lake Tahoe in the distance. On the first and last two nights I camped near Echo Summit in a spot which offered a splendid vista, as seen above at sunset on the 27th. July. On the horizon is the far rim of the Tahoe basin, a good 20 or 30 miles away. Below that a sliver of blue is just about visible which is the lake glinting in the twilight.
 On July 28th. I rose early and hiked back the way I came down the Old Meyers Grade thereby returning to the world of malls, motor vehicles and humanity.