Friday 20 April 2018


 A bumper crop of spring flowers in the garden. We've had a typically damp spring now the sun is shining like summer has come. Result: rampant growth everywhere.



 Greater Stichwort is a plant of hedgerows. I'm happy to say a small plug of it has run wild and continues to expand.



 The pink/purple flowers of Honesty seed themselves around the garden. The blue forget-me-not like flowers behind are Green Alkanet which spreads vigorously.



 The graceful Narcissus Thalia is still in flower.



 As is the patch of Anemone blanda (which also comes in shades of blue but I prefer the white form).



 Red Campion, still a common wildflower in parts of the countryside and an attractive plant for the garden.



 Three-cornered Garlic is regarded as an invasive weed in parts of the UK. I'll write an entry on this topic at some point because quite a few of the plants I love are "invasive" and there are two sides to that coin.



 Garlic Mustard is a biennial which self seeds in shady spots around the garden. The leaves taste of garlic and mustard. I might add some to a salad later. NB Plants should only be eaten when absolutely certain what it is and if edible!



 Great Wood Rush. I bought some clumps of this from Shipton Bulbs and I cannot improve on their description: "tussocks of glossy long narrow leaves and thin stems of tiny chestnut-brown flowers, this makes a fine feature in a woodland area".



 Some people would say this is a weed. Some people have no poetry in their soul.