Friday 27 April 2018



 Some back garden foraging. Nettle risotto with Ramsons (Allium ursinum) aka Wild Garlic in place of the clove variety and a flat bread (flour and water) with grated cheese garnished with a few leaves of Garlic Mustard and chopped Ramsons. Garlic Mustard is neither garlic nor mustard but has a faint taste of both. Ramsons have a taste somewhere between garlic and onion, particularly tasty raw with a bit of cheddar in my opinion.



 Speaking of Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) this self seeding biennial of shady spots is particularly abundant this year not only in the back garden but round about town and in the countryside.



 I've read that Garlic Mustard is a valuable food plant for the caterpillar of the Orange-tip Butterfly. I was in the garden musing on this and the fact that butterflies in general seemed to have declined markedly when I saw an Orange-tip on the flowers of the Garlic Mustard!
 I went to get my camera by which point it had turned its attentions to the flowers of the Honesty (Lunaria annua).


 Honesty is another self seeding biennial that is having a good year, I've been noticing it growing wild all over the place (like above on the allotments). Clearly something about the conditions has suited both species.
 Martin Crawford says in his book 'Creating a Forest Garden' that the leaves, flowers and tap roots of L. annua are edible though I can't say I've put that to the test.