Tuesday 12 December 2017


 Hertfordshire got more snow than London. I've walked over the brow of this hill many times yet the snow makes a familiar view feel so different.
 I'm one of those people who welcomes a long, cold winter (well, longish). Perhaps it's because my body copes better with very cold temperatures than very high ones.
 It's good for plants too. Most species that are native or naturalised in the UK not only tolerate cold temperatures but thrive on them. For example apple trees need a period of cold to set blossom and fruit well (the industry thinks of this in terms of 'chill requirement' and 'chill units' I believe). 
 Similarly the seeds of numerous plants need wintry conditions to germinate. Freezing and thawing breaks the dormancy of seeds in readiness for spring.
 Plunging temperatures do cull many creepy crawlies but that too is part of nature's checks and balances in a Northern climate. And again this is part of the life cycle for bugs Britannia. I would go so far as to say that I find a cold, damp winter reassuring though opinions do differ on that one...