Monday 4 December 2017


 Here's a wee beastie that's being spotted in the UK more often in recent years; it will help to click on the photo to enlarge it. In the middle of the image this intriguing critter is hovering over the foliage and flowers of Red Valerian- hairy body, two antennae, a blur of fast flapping wings and a very long tongue (like a length of black thread) poking into the flower head
 This photograph was taken in the back garden a couple of summers ago but I was reminded of it by an article about the species on the BBC website recently. This visitor comes to our shores from Africa and Europe carried by the winds (and a lot of of flapping no doubt). Apparently this has long been the case but lately it's becoming more common and widespread. I would concur: I'd never seen any until the past few summers but the clump of Red Valerian attracts them in May/June.  
 When I first saw one I noted that it seemed to be a moth that hovered like a hummingbird. I did some research and guess what- it's called a Hummingbird Hawk-Moth!