Tuesday 16 July 2024



 This enormous pig of some rare breed reminds me of a story my father told me. I was a toddler when this incident occurred, too young to remember it in fact.
 At that time there was still a livestock market in the centre of Hitchin, my home town. It took place on Tuesdays along with the main fruit and veg market. Buses came in from the local villages and the pubs were allowed to stay open in the afternoon rather than closing at three to reopen at six. Market day was quite a big deal back then. 
 On one occasion my father and I were in the yard where livestock was bought and sold. Suddenly a big pig got loose and came running towards us. My father snatched me up in his arms and stood to one side as the pig charged past. In pursuit came an irate farmer who shouted at my father "You bloody idiot why didn't you stop it?"