Wednesday 21 February 2024


 Arum italicum will prosper in the driest of dry shade and provides year round interest. The marbled leaves emerge in autumn and last all winter, a pale yellow spadix/spathe flower appears in spring looking rather like a rod in a cowl. Then in summer the leaves wither and the inflorescence morphs into a spike of green berries which turn bright red/orange as autumn approaches. A lush looking plant but every part is toxic. 
 I have seen it sold as Arum italicum, Arum marmoratum and Arum 'Pictum' but they seem to be one and the same as far as I can tell.  Always gets a mention in articles about what to grow in dry shade which is one of the toughest spots to find plants for. The above is just such an area. However I got the idea for planting A. italicum by looking over the fence and noticing my neighbours had a very handsome clump in the adjacent location. If it works for them it will work for me I thought and so it proved.