Tuesday 5 December 2023


 Hedgehog habitat. I've read that hedgehogs will nest in piles of logs and leaves. My father had tree surgeons in to lop a Corsican Pine where it was overhanging a neighbouring property. There have always been hedgehogs round here so I thought the cuttings could be put to good use...



Beginning by stacking the spindlier branches with an entrance of sorts into the inner space.



 Then covered over with the trimmings.



 The remainder of the trimmings I simply laid in a heap at the base of the tree. The needle-like pine leaves might suit a spiky hog. Also made a log pile of the thicker sections of wood (see top right of the top photo). Whether for hedgehogs or not organic matter in varying states of decomposition teems with life from micro-organisms to mammals.
 I gather hedgehogs move quite freely between nests. They have both summer and winter nests which can be rudimentary for resting or denser for hibernating. I've never come across a nest but the colony seems to be thriving so they must be kipping somewhere...