Sunday 26 November 2023


 Them thar hills. When I'm in my home town of Hitchin I generally make a point of walking over Windmill Hill to take in the view across the rooftops to the hills beyond. Hitchin is situated in a broad, low valley one side of which is formed by the edge of the Chilterns escarpment. This section is generally referred to as the 'Chilterns extension' but is part and parcel of that bulge of chalk that rises through a swathe of Southern England.
 The vista is always the same but always different. The novelty of being somewhere new can be interesting and exciting. Nonetheless there is value in seeing a familiar place change with the seasons, the weather and indeed with one's own moods. I don't meditate or practice 'mindfulness' but returning to a particular place is I suppose a form of mindful meditation.
 Permaculture uses the concept of a 'sit spot' to observe nature. Thinking about it I have a number of sit spots where I pause on various paths and places I return to. In London for example it is the park on the brow of Telegraph Hill at the top of my road. Not that one has to sit but just to be there is the thing.