Saturday 6 May 2023


 Something stirring in the undergrowth- hedgehogs. Go back a few decades and the garden of the family home had a lawn and herbaceous borders. My father still lives there and by a mixture of accident and design it has become a "wild garden". The trees that were small have grown tall, the shrubs have become bushier. The lawn and the borders have given way to species that prefer the shadier conditions, some planted some self-seeded. A haven for wildlife albeit in the middle of town.
 Yesterday evening I was sitting on the patio with a gin and tonic when I heard the huffing and chuffing of some unknown animal. Just before I went to bed I looked out again and spotted two hedgehogs. A few minutes later they had shuffled off but I could hear them in the patch of nettles seen above. A bit of late night research confirmed that I was hearing what is sometimes referred to as the 'hedgehog mating dance'. According to the charity Hedgehog Street "Males attempt to woo females in lengthy encounters that involve much circling and rhythmic snorting and puffing".
 There have always been hedgehogs in the garden but it's rare to see them. As the garden has grown wilder it has become even more suitable as a habitat. When I went to bed I heard the hooting of an owl for the first time in a while. Owls have been another regular visitor to the garden over the years. Not one but two hedgehogs and an owl -what a night!