Thursday 21 April 2022


 Here is treasure. I saw some tiny Toothworts yesterday. I think this is Common Toothwort (Lathraea squamaria) which is not very common. When I reached the edge of Wain's Wood [see last entry] I noticed a chap staring very intently at the base of a tree. I asked if he'd spotted something interesting and he drew my attention to several of these which he identified as Toothworts.
 L. squamaria is parasitic on the roots of trees, notably Hazel and Alder. It does not photosynthesise and therefore contains no chlorophyll. Wain's Wood is a Bluebell wood i.e. of ancient origins. The Toothwort was nestled among the ubiquitous Arums (A. maculatam) and also strands of Yellow Archangel (Lamium galeobdolen), another species that indicates the wood is ancient. Just the place for Toothworts to be hiding.