Friday 25 June 2021

 

I decided to use up this compost because the bin has attracted the attention of a rat.

 

 The contents were not fully decomposed so I did some trench composting. Having buried it the soil does the rest. This strip will be for a row of Runners next year. In the meanwhile I'll sow some Radishes and Clovers on it.     

 

 The soil seemed quite decent and I think there is something to be said for not messing with the soil structure. After completing this exercise I watched a video by Charles Dowding, the guru of no-dig. Needless to say he fertilises the rows for his Runner Beans by mulching on the surface.
 As a little experiment I'll do that for the next row along to see if that makes any noticeable difference to the growth of next year's crop. However I'll use some compost that is more composted for that.