Wednesday 17 February 2021

 

 Here are some more Snowdrops but you can never have too many photographs of Snowdrops at this time of year. These are in the same small area of woodland where I saw the Butcher's Broom, subject of yesterday's entry.
 This wood was once part of the garden of a big house and I suspect that the many Snowdrops in it have run wild from ones that were planted back then. NB see also my entry dated 4th. February for further thoughts on whether Snowdrops are native or naturalised.
 Having said that I think the garden assimilated an existing woodland. The wooded area is on one side of a hill and is known as "Woodside" which probably predates the garden as a description of the locale. I wouldn't be surprised if the Butcher's Broom is truly wild. Its presence can be an indicator of ancient woodland and I doubt it has ever really been planted as an ornamental.