Sunday 10 January 2021

 

  Reality can be pretty strange sometimes. As I stepped out this morning I heard the pitter patter of splashy raindrops. I saw the slabs on the patio were getting wet. Then I did a double take.
 The big holly tree next door looms overhead. When it rains there is a dry spot under its branches. Now that dry spot was splattered with wet and the exposed area of the patio was dry! I could only conclude that it was raining under the tree but not out of the sky!
 Then my befuddled brain figured out was going on. Moisture had frozen overnight on the glossy holly leaves. As the morning temperature rose above zero the frozen water was dripping down. At that point I realised I could hear a gentle crackling sound from the whole tree which was the leaves thawing out.
 Simple enough when I understood it but for a few moments reality made no sense at all.