Thursday 24 September 2020

 
 
 New plants from old, part two. At the top of the table is Iris foetidissima var. citrina which is the rather rare yellow flowered form of the Stinking Iris aka Gladwyn Iris. Below that is Greater Periwinkle (Vinca major), a common enough garden plant but I noticed this one has flowers of a particularly lovely hue. In fact the straight species is not much seen in garden centres these days as they generally stock several cultivars which I don't much care for.
 Both are from the garden of the house I grew up in where my father still lives. He tells me the Periwinkle was all over the back end of the garden when the house was purchased so it's certainly persistent. The Iris has probably been around for a long time too though I only noticed it to be the citrina variation earlier this year.
 Both are simple plants to divide. Iris foetidissima forms a steadily increasing clump of rhizomes; V. major spreads by trailing stems which root to create new shoots.