Sunday 9 February 2020



 The back end of the garden is amass with Snowdrops. They were here when I moved in; I imagine some were planted decades ago and they've spread. I have assisted the process by transplanting small clumps round and about but clearly they like the conditions without any help from me. NB The best way to plant Snowdrops is "in the green" i.e. freshly lifted after flowering, the bulbs do not like to dry out.
 There are said to be only nineteen species in the wild but dedicated collectors avidly seek out new varieties and cultivars. For me the beauty of Snowdrops is to see them in drifts but I can see why people are entranced by subtle variations of form.
 I think the ones in the garden are Galanthus "Sam Arnott". He was a Scottish cleric who discovered this tall vigorous variety growing in his garden in the late 19th. century, no doubt a natural hybrid or mutation. He passed some on to the great plantsman EA Bowles and subsequently they were cultivated and sold by the Giant Snowdrop Company in the fifties and sixties. Perhaps this is how they came to be planted here?