Tuesday 25 June 2019



 Bath Asparagus (Ornithogalum pyrenaicum) grows from a bulb; I tried to establish it several times in different parts of the garden without success. This year however a couple have poked through.
 I've read that the stems can be eaten like asparagus spears. O. pyrenaicum is rare but particularly associated with woodlands around Bath. Since Bath was a Roman town it's speculated they might have introduced it to the area, then again it might be native.
 Ornithogalums are from the plant family Asparagaceae which includes A. officinalis i.e. Garden Asparagus. Some plants in the Ornithogalum genus are regarded as edible, others are poisonous but apparently Bath Asparagus was considered a local delicacy.
 I won't be eating any of mine however- they cost several pounds each for a bulb so I'm happy just to look at them. Nor would I forage for them in the wild due to their scarcity. I gather they can still be found in woods near Bath but are not as prolific as they once were.