Thursday 29 March 2018



 Wood Anemones (Anemone nemorosa) carpet the slopes of Lesnes Abbey Wood. This is my third visit in as many weeks to this survival of ancient woodland now surrounded on all sides by the bricks and mortar of south East London.
 In my entry dated 16th. March I described the remarkable colony of native Wild Daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) that persists here. On 20th. March I observed that extensive patches of Wood Anemones were coming into flower. Returning today they are fully in bloom.
 A sunny morning was in the offing and bright light raked across the landscape. The bare trees and hollows still cast deep shadows and clouds breezed across the face of the sun. When light levels are low the flowers stay closed and nod downwards. As the light increases the white (sometimes pinkish) petals open; the flowers look up and the bright yellow stamens are revealed, pointing to the sky.
 This will not be my last visit. I don't know how many thousands of Narcissus and Anemone there are but their number is dwarfed by the number of green shoots of Bluebells I saw coming through. In late April/early May I expect Abbey Wood to be the proverbial sea of blue...