Sunday 22 October 2017


 I took a lot of photos when I was in the States in July hiking in the Crater Lake National Park. When I was sifting through them preparing my talk at the South London Botanical Institute last week I realised that a new post might be in order concerning some of them.
 For example I posted this photo previously on 5th. August but didn't identify the plant. It's Rock Penstemon (Penstemon rupicola), also known as Cliff Penstemon. I can vouch for that name as I was standing on the rim of the caldera next to a drop of about a thousand feet!



 I identified Penstemon rybergii and Lupinus latifolus in my entry dated 27th. August. Both are common in the area and as this unpublished photo shows they grow side by side quite often.



 Another Lupin -not so common- which I saw in the dry, gritty, rocky environs along the East Rim Drive. I describe that hike in my entry dated 14th. August but I didn't include this plant which I think is some variety of Lupinus lepidus.



 Certainly my favourite name of all the plants I saw: Elephant's Head Lousewort (Pedicularis groenlandica). This unpublished photo shows some growing in the mossy bog I describe in my entry dated 3rd. September.



 Erythronium grandiflorum. I saw hundreds of these growing in a moist meadow. Mentioned in my talk but not posted before.



  I neglected to include this in both my talk and the diary. A delicate beauty that I saw growing here and there along the margins of the East Rim Drive. I saw an illustration of it in a book the other day, made a mental note of what it is and now I've forgotten!



 Previously published in my entry dated 1st. August concerning the snow melt streams that run through the forested landscape. I identified the yellow flowered plant as as a Senecio but looking again I think it's Arnica amplexicaulis which appropriately enough is also known as Streambank Arnica. The splash of red is a Castilleja, one of the many varieties of "Paintbrush" flowers, this one adapted to moist habitats (perhaps C. miniata?).



 A photo from the same entry but I didn't identify it. This is Lewis' Monkeyflower (Mimulus lewisii). A number of North American plants were named by the pioneering Lewis and Clark expedition as they explored "the new land" in the early 1800s. The Native Americans were there already but Lewis might have been among the first white men to see this species.



 Also from that entry. When I was there I was enchanted by the combination of yellow and blue flowers in front of a babbling brook (though the Americans would call it a creek). The yellow flowers are surely a Potentilla (eg. P. glandulosa?) but in my enchantment I neglected to get an in-focus shot of the blue flowers and I've been wondering what they could be.
 I think they might well be Aconitum columbianum, a Monkshood that enjoys growing by water. NB If so, highly poisonous like all Monkshoods!