Tuesday 26 September 2017





 Ivy is not generally thought of as a flower but it is a flowering plant and just about the last one of the season that provides a plentiful source of food for pollinators.
 I remember walking down a country lane that was dense with ivy and at first I thought someone must have been using a generator or some piece of machinery nearby that was giving off a very audible hum. Then I realised it was the sound of thousands upon thousands of bees all over the ivy.
 In Dorset at this time of year I have noticed more than once that it attracts a good many Red Admiral butterflies as well.
 The ivy in the photos above is at the back of a pub garden in that county. I have also noticed there is a definite synchronicity between seeking out wildflowers and finding country pubs.