Monday 31 July 2017






 I saw many different wildflowers as I hiked around Crater Lake. Wild Lupines pop up all over the place but for sheer quantity one particular area stands out.
 When I took the shuttle from Klamath Falls I asked the driver to drop me off at the Ranger Station so I could get a Backcountry Permit- hiking and camping is allowed but legally the permit is required to do so. A few days later I was sitting in my tent (which I had pitched in an open clearing among the pines) when I heard someone hailing me.
 I was surprised because I didn't think there was a soul around. Turned out it was a Park Ranger doing the rounds of the local trails; not only that it was the very same guy who had signed my permit! We had a chat and I mentioned I was particularly interested in wildflowers. He told me to head several miles North on the PCT to an area where there had been a widespread forest fire.
 I went there the next day and it was indeed very striking. The remains of the pine trees were charred trunks sticking up like blackened stalks from the ground. The regenerative aftermath of fire often results in a proliferation of plants and flowers at ground level, as is the case here.
 I'll call them Wild Lupines for now because these entries concerning Crater Lake are going to challenge my botany. I saw many species not found in the UK and there are generally numerous varieties of each species in the USA. I have purchased a good field guide (Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest by Mark Turner and Phyllis Gustafson) and will try to be more specific as I write about the photographs I select.

 Postscript 6th. August 2017. I read today that this stretch of the PCT is now closed to the public as are several other trails I used. A new forest fire is burning across 5,000 acres to the west of Crater Lake thought to have been caused by a lightening strike.
 It's extraordinary that this landscape can go from being snowbound to burning within the space of a few weeks.